Friday, 27 June 2014

Feeding not frumping!

If you're a breast feeding mummy, I'm sure you've spent more than a few hours trawling the Internet looking for suitable feeding attire for special occasions. If you're anything like me those searches won't have been very fruitful.

After scouring every corner of the net for a nursing dress to wear to a wedding, I can conclude there's absolutely none that I like. I don't think your style should have to change just because you're nursing, so if I wouldn't wear it normally I'm not wearing it while nursing. I don't know about you, but going to an event wearing something I'm not comfortable in would sort of ruin my day. It can be a stressy enough day with a baby in tow without feeling a bit crap about your outfit.

I know wrap dresses are considered the dogs danglies when it comes to nursing dresses, but they're really not me. But, it has to be said the wrap is very functional and there's definitely a reason most nursing dresses are wrap styles. I was after a more modern wrap style rather than the usual jersey wrap and was pleasantly surprised that I found so many options.

So here's my round up of what I've found, as always links are below the photos.
The zip front dress is also having a moment, so a few options can be found on the high street. These are a great option for easy access, and provide plenty of coverage for those rather unsexy nursing bras.
Another options is to go with the matchy matchy trend, and wear a co-ordinating skirt and top set. Most of these could pass for a dress, with the added bonus that you will get extra wear out of them as separates.
If it's a jumpsuit you're after, River Island has come up trumps recently. They have this jumpsuit with a wrap front, and it actually has a popper button at the bust,for easy access. It comes in quite a few different prints also.
I bought this one a few weeks ago, it's so comfy as it has elastic around the waist at the back so doesn't feel as restrictive as some jumpsuits can.
Jumpsuits are fast becoming accepted evening wear, with a killer pair of heels and a sparkly bag they look as good if not better than a dress, add a fascinator and you're ready for a wedding. Jersey jumpsuits are great too, not only are they very handy for feeding but can be very flattering on a post partum body, while being very on trend at the same time. Win win all round!
If our sunny weather ever comes back heres a few playsuit options too. I have the blue Zara one and its perfect for feeding as its quite roomy around the top.
I've recently ordered a few basic jersey tops from Boohoo that have been very handy. They're loose around the bottom and I just wear a stretchy vest under and they've worked pretty well.
Left outfit: Necklace from my shop The Treasure Trove, Boohoo top, Only jeans, Next sandals
Right outfit: Boohoo top, RI skirt, Next sandals
Wrap tops are big at the moment too, and the sheer material is getting a big thumbs up from me at the minute (I'm still in the sweaty Betty stage) as they provide a bit of coverage without being too hot.

So to conclude here are my top tips for breast feeding attire.
  • If a wrap over top has a little stitch at the bust simply un-pick it and replace with a little square of Velcro, thus preserving your modesty and giving you easy access to the boobage.
  • Wear a stretchy vest under a low cut top and simply unclick bra, vest goes down top goes up and boob's your uncle!
  • A killer pair of heels and great accessories such as a statement necklace or fascinator can really transform the plainest of dresses, so don't be put off by the dress straight away. I've added more necklaces to the shop, so many of them look great with a dress, have a look here.

I hope you've picked up some tips to make shopping a bit easier - and remember think outside the box, and don't limit yourself to traditional nursing wear. You're feeding not frumping remember!!!

Tx

11 comments:

  1. Good luck on making a decision over all these gorgeous things....I would love one of each and a new walk in wardrobe to accomodate them all! Amazing pics Trea! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Michelle, I've went from thinking there's nothing out there to going on a mad spree!

      Delete
  2. Dogs danglies and boobs your uncle hahaha, too funny. I particularly like the white wrap and the navy one. I know you're finding it difficult but at least you have options - 20 years ago.....oh dear! Can't wait to see what you buy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Donna, we're actually spoiled of choice now really. I've ordered the white and navy but in the other colour options as my size was sold out. Will hopefully get some of them to do me!

      Delete
  3. Great round up, Trea, you are one cool Mama. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm usually a silent reader but had to say thanks so much for this. I'm currently feeding my second baby and like you i really struggle to find nice clothes. This was so useful, so thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Lauren, you just have to be a but more creative, thankfully wrap styles are everywhere at the minute so we're spoiled. Hope alls going well with the feeding! X

      Delete
  5. another second baby breast feeder here too. i wore jojo maman tops first time and this time Im branching out. im wearing swishy drapey kimono tops and strappy primark vest with a scarf when feeding to hide booby at the top.

    Enjoying your tips and wonder how you are so tiny! Im with a 10 week old and a 3 year old - constantly grabbing handfuls of ginger nuts for energy through out the day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Trea! This is such a helpful post for BF Mama's with some gorgeous items too! What ever you go for I know you will look amazingly styled as always! I quite like a few of the above! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fleshandhide

    Fashion Leather Jackets | Celebrity Leather Jackets | Sheep Leather Jackets are Available
    at Fleshandhide.com , leather jackets uk leather jackets usa quality leather jackets.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments it's always nice to hear your thoughts.